Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Ask Father Rudy: Clergy, Divorce in Same-Sex Marriage, & Death


It has been a week. I apologize for publishing this later in the evening, but I am doing my best to assure you get your questions. This is our 4th round of questions for "Ask Father Rudy". I thank you for your questions and continue to welcome them. I like the consistency of asking questions in 4s so if you don't read the answer to your question, check out the following week. In the meantime, I am making sure I answer your questions. Also, leave comments. We've received a comment that turned into the following week's questions. Be blessed in God's name!
 
Stay tuned for next week.  
Our Lady of Grace, Bronx
 
Question 1:

If we believe in the resurrection, why are we afraid to die? Why do we cry when we lose a loved one?

Great question:  we are saddened by the death of a loved one because they will  no longer be physically near us, and "we" will miss them.  When we have faith in jesus; who also died, was buried and rose to new life, we can better understand the Christian outlook of a new life awaiting those who believe, and then the pain is not so strong.

 

 

Question 2:

Does your church offer workshops that help the community with budgeting, finding employment, finding housing (any type), or work with college graduates/ high school dropouts?

At this time we do not have any such outreaches; however, assistance does exist via Catholic Charities, P.O.T.S. and other such organizations.

 

Question 3:

I grew up as a practicing Catholic and I’m a married lesbian. My wife and I have two children and I bring my daughters to church. My wife and I are currently getting divorced. I’m afraid to go seek counsel in my church because of my sexuality but I need spiritual guidance and a way to heal from broken heart. I believe God loves me regardless, but will God heal the heart of a lesbian mother of two?

A divorce between any two people who have loved each other is always a painful situation; no matter what person’s situation is.  These are human feelings which should be dealt with and any clergy would be willing to bring some sort of consolation, understanding or support in dealing with the pain.  Feel free to approach a member of the clergy, without any fear of rejection.  God does love you and time does heal, so hang in there and seek the spiritual help you need.

 

 

Question 4:

When clergy are assigned to a church, what is considered when reassigning them to the same or different location?

Usually the needs of other parishes, the abilities of the clergyman, many times however, it is just a matter of him having achieved a given term (years of service) set up by the local church/bishop. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment